JellyPages.com

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

MISAWA TRIP (post by Elder Addington)

     I received my High Council assignment from Pres. John Madsen to speak in the Misawa Ward, and to do some training, where I had served 46 years ago as a recent convert.  Misawa is 10 hours north on the main island of Honshu.  We travelled by the Bullet Train (Shinkansen), which took us 3 ½ hours from Tokyo.  When we arrived it was extremely cold and snowing.
     So many good memories: our Misawa Branch met in the old elementary school on the Air Force base with about 50 members, but today there are 150 members who meet in a large and beautiful LDS Chapel off base. Sister Addington and I spent 4 days there. It was fun and very meaningful to walk around Misawa and take a trip down memory lane.  So very much has changed.
     Elder and Sister Harmon, who are the new Senior Military Relations Couple in Misawa (Sendai Mission), had us for dinner, then Elder Harmon drove us around the base and up to Security Hill for a tour, where I worked as a Russian Linguist for two years in Air Force Security Service. 
     My testimony and foundation was laid in Misawa and I shall be forever grateful to my Father in Heaven for that experience and the members who touched my life.  


Ready to board the Shinkansen
Elder Addington was so excited  for this trip
         This is where Elder Addington used to work as a young serviceman in the Air Force.
Elder and Sister Harmon are the new Military Relations Couple at Misawa AFB.  They are in the Sendai Mission but in our Tokyo South Stake.  They were most hospitable and had us for dinner along with the young Elders who are assigned to that area.  
I loved the view we had of the Japanese and American flags  blowing in the wind.
These young elders are serving in the Sendai Mission.  We took this photo  at the beautiful LDS church building in Misawa.

No comments:

Post a Comment